International Baccalaureate (IB)
Atalaya International School forms part of the International Baccalaureate network of schools, a non-profit educational foundation built on the cornerstone of creating a better world through education.
The IB Diploma Programme is an educational programme designed to provide students with an excellent preparation for university, combining an intense academic education with the development of skills and acquisition of values.
The type of student we seek to form with this programme is defined by the following attributes:
- Well-informed and knowledgeable
- Good communicators
- Individuals of integrity
- Open mentality
The curriculum is made up of a common Diploma Programme core and six groups of subjects. The common Diploma Programme core, which is made up of three core components, is aimed at broadening the students’ educational experience and challenging them to apply their knowledge and skills.
The three core components are as follow:
- Theory of Knowledge, in which students reflect on the nature of knowledge and how we know what we claim to know
- Extended Essay, which is an independent, self-directed piece of research that culminates in a 4,000 word essay
- Creativity, Activity and Service, in which the students complete a project relating to these three concepts
And these are the groups of subjects:
- Group 1: Studies in Language and Literature
- Group 2: Language Acquisition
- Group 3: Individuals and Societies
- Group 4: Sciences
- Group 5: Mathematics
- Group 6: Arts
Please find below a video summarising the spirit of the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme: